The contrasting experience was quite notable. Some crappy Valspar we had about the house from a project several years ago somehow found its way up to the bathroom for the trim. In addition to stinking of chemicals to high heaven it just wasn't settling into a nice smooth finish. That's why I decided to get over to the paint store for the Fuller O'Brien which had handled so nicely for the bathroom walls.
What a difference. The fumes were tolerable and not making me gag or have a headache, the paint went down easily on the woodwork, covered nicely and cleaned up easily as well. Nice.
If you have a choice, go with the better paint, it's totally worth it -- they use higher quality pigments and better binders (something I learned in art school). Also you should know that just because latex paint is water-based does not mean it is non-toxic. They aren't required to list out the solvents used on the label and The Artist's Complete Health and Safety Guide points out that there are a lot of toxic compounds that you need to watch out for -- latex even contains solvents known to go through gloves into the skin so you really need to handle with care. Still latex is less toxic than oil paint. (Here's a nice page with a table of different art materials and their hazards)