Here's a shot of the part of the backyard where we had the tree removed. It really opens things up. The tree was topped by the prior owners so it really didn't look nice at all. Now we get to create an area for socializing
I'm going to be out of town next weekend and I really want to get this room done before I go. That means that I have to really focus on painting in the evenings but the tast of cutting in really requires some good lighting and I just didn't want to deal with lamps. Instead I got up at 7:30am and threw on my painting clothes and cut in around 75% of the ceiling before work using the daylight as my light source. Since that ceiling edge will show more flaws it needs to be done more slowly so doing it ahead of time meant that I could do the remainder of the cutting in quickly when I got home from work.
I came home at 5:30 and got to work and completed the cutting in all the way around and then rolled on the first coat of paint. Yeah me! I don't think I need to cut in again, just another coat of paint with the roller and it should be good to go.
That just leaves the woodwork to get painted. (groan)
Here are the chips that I picked up the other day. You probably can't see it very well though. At any rate the blue is sky blue (what was I thinking) and not the aqua green in my mockup. I'll have to dig through all the millions of paint chips I have upstairs in my house project folder to find one that's more akin to what we had in mind. The red and white are okay though, they might actually work.
I was looking at our neighbor's house behind us and there are a few blues there as well. But on our street we'd still be pretty good if we went with that colorway.
I spent a good while cutting in around the edges of the walls of the office this afternoon, working slowly to ensure that I didn't make mistakes, particularly by the ceiling edge. Then after a break to breathe some clean air and have a snack I put the first coat of tinted primer on the walls. This paint will require two primer coats and two paint coats at least to get the coverage we need. So far so good though, it's a nice olive green. I'll post photos tomorrow.
I'm making progress. I need to do one more coat of the ceiling paint and then I can move on to doing the walls. And of course I just remembered that I left the roller out uncovered I better go see if it is still okay for later tonight. Ack!
We ducked out a while ago to the gardening store to pick up some more plants, some camelias, some laurels and other small bushes, some hyacinths, a primrose and a couple of deadnettles -- they don't sting and they are a small leaves ground cover with flowers for shade -- which we have lots of.
Tomorrow we're having trees trimmed back from the roof on the north side of the house and having a previously topped tree (by the previous owners) removed from the backyard in an area where we want to have a flagstone patio. My partner is getting excited about having so many projects underway, especially since he's been swamped with work and I've been the one coordinating.
We were brainstorming colors to paint our house yesterday so I set up a few mock-ups in Photoshop using our garage to get a sense of how it might look. Our neighbor on one side has bright yellow with barn red trim, the neighbor on the other side house is hidden behind overgrowth but it's gray with blue trim around the windows. We also have to factor in that we have two red maples in the front yard so we want some contrast. Also it gets so gray in Seattle that anything too dull is just going to extend that grayness -- we want something that has a little more life to it.
While waiting for the spackling and caulk to dry I decided to whip up some of my favorite muffins. It's a recipe I adapted to make them more healthy.
Lemony Blueberry Muffins - makes 1 dozen, medium-sized muffins
1 egg 3/4 cup whole milk or half & half (whatever you have on hand) 1/2 cup safflower oil (or other vegetable oil, you could substitute melted butter as well if that's all you have)
1 cup all-purpose flour 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1/4 cup wheat bran or wheat germ 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen blueberries Zest of one lemon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Grease bottoms of muffin tin cups. Mix milk, egg and oil until throroughly blended. Add in flours, bran or wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and salt to wet mixture and stir until combined (will still be lumpy). Fold in blueberries and lemon zest. Spoon batter into muffin tin cups and sprinkle tops with sugar. Back until tops are golden, about 18-20 minutes. Remove muffins from tin right away and put onto a baking rack to cool.
Note -- you can do this recipe with fresh blueberries but you might need to add a little more milk and you also might need to adjust the sugar a little.
I got back in to the office and caulked the gaps in the trim around the room and it's looking much tighter now. I also am patching a gap in the ceiling at the edge of the connection for the hanging ceiling light, it was something that was just there so I've used my mesh tape and some lightweight spackling as I'm out of plaster. For the spot it should hold up fine I think.
I'm getting really excited about painting the ceiling next once the spackling is done, and then doing my tinted primer coat on the walls.
I was thinking about whether I ought to remove the windows and have them dipped and then redoing the putty on them on the outside. Lord knows they could use it. Still that's something I can work around for now.
Then walking to the store with my partner he starts brainstorming about how we should break down the wall between our bedroom and that room and put in a master bath or use it as a dressing room Those would be nice but can't I just finish the project that I set out to do and deal with that after we get to enjoy it awhile. Besides the kitchen project needs doing.